Here's a close-up of the hardware:
It was in rather rough shape.. well used to put it nicely.
The first step was to take all the hardware off & the drawers out.
For whatever reason, I forgot to take more in-progress pictures of this one. But, in short, here's what I did:
- Skipped sanding- this piece isn't solid wood, so there was really no point.
- 3 coats of primer- sometimes it takes more to cover wood tones with white paint.
- Mixed paint- I bought a quart of Rustoleum American Accents Blossom white and a half pint of Heirloom White. I poured about 1/3 of the Blossom white into a cheap ziploc container. I then mixed in 2/3 of the can of Heirloom White. I wanted a soft, slightly creamy white, and this worked perfectly.
- I did ~2 coats of the mixed color. If I'd used a plain white, it probably would've only taken 1, but since I wanted complete coverage over the white primer, I did a bit more.
- I also applied Minwax's Wipe-On Poly. I did one coat on the entire desk, and two on the top, since that would see the most traffic. I chose a satin finish since I planned on distressing it- Glossy doesn't look right distressed in my opinion.
- I use a medium-grade sandpaper to distress the edges.
- I purchased new hardware in the same sizes as the previous ones. I chose a bit of an ornate touch- anything too modern wouldn't have gone well with the distressed look.
- I also painted and distressed a chair I had on hand. It had the same seat as this chair that I made over a while ago, so I used some foam, fabric, and my handy staple gun to upholster it. I chose a white & tan seersucker fabric- neutral enough to keep up with my ever-changing decor.
And Finally, The BEFORE:
And, the AFTER: