Zane is still strong, and after a solid weekend, he's looking good for surgery today. He will go in at 11 for grafting on his right arm, and possibly more excisions on his abdomen, depending on how he tolerates the work on the arm. His cultures did show that he has pneumonia and he is now on the appropriate antibiotic. The fluid draining from the chest tube has decreased so they're planning on removing it after surgery today. His vitals and ventilation support remain the same. He did have a fever last night/early this morning that hit 103. They gave him tylenol & motrin & it's back down under 100 now. After the nurses looked at his back this morning, they're thinking the skin may heal on its own without grafting. That would be HUGE! Grafting on his back would not be a good thing since he's laying on his back & it opens up more chance for infection and graft rejection.
The doctor told us that he is more responsive this morning, and he even had his eyes open. Of course, I was about to run straight into his room I was so excited. But, they were in the middle of burn care so I am anxiously awaiting a chance to go see him before surgery.
**Update: Just went in to see him & he opened his eyes and looked at me!! It didn't totally seem like he had full visual recognition, but mentally he knew we were there. It was SUCH A BLESSING, just seeing the whites of his eyes. I told him where he was and how many of you are praying for him. We told him to stay strong and know that God had already worked so many miracles in him.**
We are optimistic about this surgery, and know that God has brought him thus far, and can bring him through this as well. The power of God has just been present in SO many ways this weekend- even beyond our family- God's blessings are pouring over into so many other people.
Please be in prayer over the next couple hours if you can.. this surgery is definitely needed, but like with anything, there are risks. The good part is that no risk is too great for our God.