Wednesday, June 8, 2011
DIY Pintuck/Knotted Duvet Cover
What I'm about to show you is for sure the most time consuming project that I've ever taken on. I've questioned my sanity several times over the course of creating this thing.. I've never tried to do something quite this large on my own. So crazy, yes.. but I venture to say that it just may have been worth it.
That stack of fabric I showed you before was 64 squares that I individually measured, cut, traced, stitched, puckered, stitched some more, pinned together, sewed, pinned some more, sewed some more, measured again, cut again, sewed, and sewed, and sewed.... and sewed. And eventually... it became something a little more like this:
I'd seen many duvet covers and quilts that I liked.. but they were all going to cost me between $100 at the low end and $400 on the high end. Not exactly in the budget right now. :) I have this problem, you see.. Zane likes to say that we have a different set of bedding of bedding for each month. While that's definitely an overstatement, I did have 3 or 4 comforters in our first year of marriage.. so I decided duvets were the way to go. And then I started to collect duvets. :) I think the resolution would be to start designing other people's homes so I don't have to make manifest all my ideas in my own home. But, until that becomes a feasible option, I thought making my own duvet would be both economical and a challenge. It ended up being both.
I bought something like 15 yards of fabric for around $30 at a local surplus and salvage store. I chose a white duck-cloth-like material (not totally sure what it is officially). It had a few holes in some spots so I talked the manager into a 50% discount. Not too shabby! A few more dollars in LOTS of white thread and some snap closures for the top (and of course many, many hours), and I had a gorgeous new duvet for under $40.
I'll share a little more later, but I hope it was worth the wait!